Meatloaf is the perfect food for Fall and Winter mid-week, when the household needs no-nonsense nourishment in a hurry. Preparation of this great meatloaf recipe takes only about 20 minutes, and it will need one hour to cook.
Meatloaf is one of the heartiest of dishes, and although it’s most commonly associated with America, historians have traced a baked mincemeat concoction as far back as 5th century Rome. The dish is certainly well travelled, having roots variously in Germany, Scandinavia and Belgium, and it’s said also to be a variant on the famous Dutch meatball. What would be accepted as modern American meatloaf recipe is actually derived from Pennsylvanian scrapple, a local mixture of ground pork and cornmeal beloved of German settlers.
Cook Time: 20 minutes prep, 1 hour to cook
What you need:
- Half-cup of milk
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs (using two slices of bread)
- 1.5 pounds of ground beef
- 1.25 teaspoons of salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 tablespoons of steak sauce
- 1 chopped onion
- Half-cup of diced green bell pepper
- Quarter-cup of steak sauce to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Lightly grease an 8.5in x 4.5in loaf pan.
- Combine milk and soft bread crumbs in a small bowl and leave to soften for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, salt, pepper, egg, 3 tablespoons steak sauce, chopped onion, and green bell pepper.
- Add bread crumb mixture, and work in with your hands until all ingredients are combined.
- Pat the the mixture into the lightly greased loaf pan.
- Brush the top of the mixture with additional steak sauce.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until done.
- Allow to stand 5 minutes before slicing.
It’s hearty and wholesome enough all by itself, but what really makes a good meatloaf recipe complete is what you choose to serve it with. Here are a few tasty suggestions for you to try out. Happy dining!
- Potatoes – mash and gravy is a beautiful complement to the savory notes of the meatloaf, while potatoes au gratin is perfect if you fancy a more cheesy counterpoint to the hearty taste of the main. You could also roast your potatoes with herbs, or go for hash browns for an urban, contemporary snack.
- Pasta – tossed in a light sauce, pasta is an ideal and easily prepared complement to your meatloaf.
- Rice – a tenderly cooked rice pilaf, using onions and garlic, will complement and also soak in the meatloaf’s fantastic flavours.
- Couscous – like rice, this is easy to prepare, and is probably the healthiest of any side serving for your meatloaf.
- Vegetables – the strength of a main like meatloaf is that it will go well with a huge range of vegetables, including corn on the cob, green beans, steamed baby carrots, peas or asparagus.
Did you like the Best Meatloaf Recipe in the world? if so, leave us a nice comment.