Fully Loaded Baked Potato Soup is exactly what we all need simmering away on the stove right now. It’s the right thing to do!
We’re really weird people here in LA. We don’t handle the cold well. Driving down the street these days, no joke every single woman is bundled up in leggings, jackets, vests, scarves and Ugg boots. It was ah-mazing and hysterical and embarrassing all at the same time. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a wimp when it comes to cooler temps, but there’s a really delicious solution to that… Fully Loaded Baked Potato Soup!
It’s a thick and creamy soup made from baked potatoes, but what really makes it shine are all the toppings. Crumbled crispy bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, finely sliced scallions, FRIED POTATO SKINS, I mean… what more in life could you ask for? It’s everything you’ll find in a baked potato but in soup form. I’m into it and you should be too!! Bonus: the base of this soup freezes really well.
PREP TIME : 10 mins
COOK TIME : 1 hr 20 mins
TOTAL TIME : 1 hr 30 mins
Baked Potato Soup
- 8 Russet potatoes, scrubbed cleaned and pierced with a fork all over
- 8 slices bacon
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- Freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced scallions
- Sour Cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the potatoes directly on the middle rack and bake for 60 minutes until fork tender.
- Scoop the white insides out of the baked potato skins. Roughly chop the white insides and set them aside. Tear the potato skins and set aside.
- In a large stock pot, cook the bacon over medium heat. Once it’s crispy, remove bacon from the pan and drain off the grease. Once bacon has cooled, tear into small pieces.
- Add 4 tablespoons butter to stock pot. Add onion and continue to cook over medium heat until onion is caramelized. Add minced garlic and flour. Stir until the flour is cooked, about 1-2 minutes. While stirring, slowly add chicken stock to the flour mixture and whisk to combine to prevent lumps. Bring to a simmer then turn heat to low. Add the insides of the diced baked potato and season with sea salt and pepper. Cover pot and continue to cook over low heat.
- In a large saute pan add 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the torn potato skins and fry them until crisp and heated through.
- Add 1/2 of the crumbled bacon, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, ½ cup of scallions and sour cream into the pot of soup. Stir well and continue to cook over low heat until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Serve soup topped with remaining bacon, cheddar cheese, scallions and crisp potato skins on top.
Did you like the Baked Potato Soup recipe? if so, leave us a nice comment.